Jimmy Byrd and students
This was not to be a fund raiserride, but two things changed that. First, due to drought, we must build a water tower for the school and second, the Richard Mascarello family has offered to match any donations up to the total number miles ridden. So keep the water flowing for the kids and hit the donate button.

Also, instructor Kevin Lee is a auctioning off a 2 week paragliding course in southern Oregon to support the school.

See it here.

TO READ THE FLORIDA TO CALIFORNIA LEG CLICK here or go to lostboater.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 23, 2010

We waited around until after 8 AM  for it to warm up.  Had breakfast coffee with an Australian couple who had come over for 2 weeks for a wedding. Their economy is doing great as unemployment is under 5% again and mortgage rates are on the way up.

Paid our $12 to Toll Troll and headed out east on AZ 64.  First overlook we met some long distance riders, too. Mark is from Myrtle Beach, SC and riding a Harley..  His riding partner is much prettier than mine. Her name is Ann from Sweden, though I believe she lives in SC, also.  She is riding Scoot's big cousin, a Ducoti, a fine Italian machine. Cruised on down the rim and took lots of pictures, but I will spare you the pain and just throw in a couple.

Riding in the park was fine as the high trees blocked the wind. Leaving the Park the large flag was standing straight out.  It is at half mast because a Park Service employee died on the job in Utah. The trees started to disappear and the wind picked up. The good news is that it was mostly a quartering cross or a tail wind. The bad part about going down hill is you have to go up hill.  The wind helped a lot today.  On US-89, a major north-south route, traffic was pretty busy, but thanks to the wind I could keep the speed up.

We turned on to US160 and headed for Kayenta, Az. and Monument Valley.  In Tuba City we saw some old Jag's and I pulled in.  This is a picture of Mark and his 1953 Jag.  We could not get a better picture as the winds were trying to push Scoot over.

Back on the road it was another wild ride.  Winds blowing 25 to 30 and gusting to 50.  Visibility was down to 1/4 mile with blowing sand.  There were some interesting pictures to be taken, but were missed as Scoot could not stand up on his own in the wind.

The plan had been to check into the hotel in Kayenta and then ride out to Monument Valley for the afternoon. After hours of sand blowing up my nose and holding on in the strong winds, the plan changed. New plan: stay upright until we get to the hotel and then go find some cold beer. Well, we did the first part, but we were informed that the reservation is dry. Well, it will be suitcase gin in the room.  I found a corner to hide Scoot out of the winds and retired to my room.