Jimmy Byrd and students
This was not to be a fund raiserride, but two things changed that. First, due to drought, we must build a water tower for the school and second, the Richard Mascarello family has offered to match any donations up to the total number miles ridden. So keep the water flowing for the kids and hit the donate button.

Also, instructor Kevin Lee is a auctioning off a 2 week paragliding course in southern Oregon to support the school.

See it here.


TO READ THE FLORIDA TO CALIFORNIA LEG CLICK here or go to lostboater.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010

day 7 a spectacular one

(get an adult beverage and a comfortable seat. this is a long one)

The last few days I have been trying to match  the scooter to my mindset of going slow and seeing everything.  I have not been comfortable with this and have to constantly think about the throttle. Today I decided to match the mindset to the scooter.  Just let it do what the throttle wants to do.  It was the answer. With no thought when there was nothing I was doing 65 and when there was something to see or do I looked down and I was doing 35.  I think this is going to work for me and Big Red.

I use google maps to plan these trips.  Sometimes I let google pick the route and some times I do.  From Beaver to Junction UT., google picked UT153.  Looked good to me until I looked at Utah scenic byways.  It said 153 is only paved for part of the way and the rest is "unpaved dry summer road only".  Further investigation I found a write-up from a 4 wheeler who said "it is the worst road I have ever been on". Glad I found that. Would have hated to run out of pavement and have to ride all the way back.

View Larger Map
To get where I wanted to go, I jumped on the interstate, the only way for 18 miles to UT20.  This turned into one of the best days riding I have ever had.  The traffic was light, the weather perfect and the scenery was spectacular!!!!


US89 was up a great valley with lots of farming.  I stopped in Koorshem, Indian for red clover, and met most of the town's senior members.  Fellow scooter owner Casslle "CJ" Linguist came out to look at Big Red.  His father and 11 brothers had been born in this town.  His dad moved to Salt Lake, where CJ was born, and he raised his 7 children.  He is now retired and spends time here fishing.






We crossed over the mountain and headed east to Torrey where I stopped for my first "Gucci" coffee of this trip.

Some roads in Utah need a little maintenance but the scenery is still spectacular.


Then we entered the Coral Reef National park.  Ranger Chris was setting in the shade trying to keep drivers honest coming around the corner.
You guys thought I was kidding about the Hell's Angels yesterday.  Here is photographic evidence.  Richie and Karen have ridden 3000 miles coming from the east coast and  headed to Montana for the Hell's Angels meet.  They are nice folks and I really enjoyed our visit. He is a bails bondman, so I now have a get out of jail for $ card.


This is the ride through the Park and up to Green River and over to Moab.  The pictures do not give justice to how wonderful and beautiful this ride is.