Jimmy Byrd and students
This was not to be a fund raiserride, but two things changed that. First, due to drought, we must build a water tower for the school and second, the Richard Mascarello family has offered to match any donations up to the total number miles ridden. So keep the water flowing for the kids and hit the donate button.

Also, instructor Kevin Lee is a auctioning off a 2 week paragliding course in southern Oregon to support the school.

See it here.


TO READ THE FLORIDA TO CALIFORNIA LEG CLICK here or go to lostboater.blogspot.com

Monday, August 2, 2010

day 10 and 11


View Larger Map
AUGUST 2
 This was day one in Kansas.








The plan had been to quit a 2pm because I new it was going to get hot.  At 1:45 I was in Mead, KS and there was a hotel there. But no, I decided to squeeze a few more miles out.  About 30 minutes into this ride, tempertures on the scooter were 109 and not a shade tree or occupied building in sight.  When I came to  to US283 I had the choice of going forward not knowing about a hotel for 75 miles or turn left and go into Dodge City where I knew there was a hotel.  I turned left. By the time we got to Dodge City the Big Red temp gauge was reading 113.

Earlier I had to stop at a Walmart to get a new camera for just the reason I dislike Walmart.  They had driven everybody out of buisness within 60 miles.  As you can see the new camera is not up to my normal quality. Hopefully I will figure it out.

All along this trip people have stopped me to talk about the scooter.  Often the people even know that it is a Vespa.  At Walmart, I young guy searched me out to talk about the Vespa.  In Syracuse, Dave came out to the parking lot to talk about the scooter.  His great-great-grandfather had come to this town in a covered wagon.  Dave had left for 23 years ago for Texas and when his third wife threw him out he came back home.

dave in syracuse

AUGUST 3
The plan for today was get up and start riding in the dark and get out of Kansas at all cost.  For some reason I felt that if I got out of Kansas cool breezes would begin blowing.  I knew this was not true but I was going with.  No U turns and no stop for pictures.  Just straight ahead.  The camera was not taking good pictures yet and if I stopped I would wind up messing with and all that would happen was it would get hotter. With the old camera I would have had to make some u turns as there were some good pictures passed up.




every town has a grain silo. this was crossroads but also had a large steeple




everyone including the cows were looking for a little shade

113 degrees!!!!

come again....probably not