Jimmy Byrd and students
This was not to be a fund raiserride, but two things changed that. First, due to drought, we must build a water tower for the school and second, the Richard Mascarello family has offered to match any donations up to the total number miles ridden. So keep the water flowing for the kids and hit the donate button.

Also, instructor Kevin Lee is a auctioning off a 2 week paragliding course in southern Oregon to support the school.

See it here.


TO READ THE FLORIDA TO CALIFORNIA LEG CLICK here or go to lostboater.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 8, 2010

EPILOGE

3637 trouble free miles on Big Red and I am home again.  Once again, I was shown what a great, vast and beautiful country America is.  Heck, I probably would even like Kansas if I could ride across it with temperatures not in the low 100's.

There were a couple of troubling things I saw on this trip.  First was the open racism from some people. More the one person referred to "that nigger in the White House".  Illegal immigrants were being blamed for everything. Second was the question I get a lot "aren't you afraid?". When I said "afraid of what?" they would reply, "well you know..."  The sad part about our country is that politicians, news networks and corporate marketing are exploiting and creating fears for their gain.  From undefined terrorist to scary germs to burglar alarms ad's to people that do not look like me,  people have grown afraid of "well you know...." life!

When I bought Scoot three years ago, I thought my first trip from Florida to North Carolina was going to be a monumental event. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ride across America on a Vespa. Crossing America three times in less than four months was not even fathomable.

I would say that is the end of the scooterdiaries2010, but you never know.  Next year I hope to get back to just meandering instead of long rides.

As always, I challenge you to get our to of your comfort zone.  You may be surprised that you really more comfortable there.